April 10-14 we had the opportunity to go to San Francisco with the World Religions and Art History departments from the high school. My mom is good friends with both the teachers, so she's gone along to chaperone for the last few years. I was really nervous about bringing a toddler into a city I didn't know at all. And I won't lie--I was freaking anxious disaster the whole trip! But Levi was patient and in hindsight, I had a really awesome time and was so grateful to have gone and had some great experiences with my family.
At the security check in the airport, Walter was promoted to a junior security officer. A position he took very seriously.
"Walter, are you so excited??"
"I'm a little nervous..."
Walter wasn't so sure about his first plane ride, but he did awesome! And I think it might have been his favorite part!
After we arrived, we took a bus to our hotel. I can't even fully express how grateful I was for Levi on this trip. He constantly took over Walter care so that I could spend more time looking at things in the museums, walking in a straight line and not tripping, etc.
Pier 39 is a sanctuary-type place for sea lions. Walter thought they were great!
Massive things.
As we were walking back to our hotel, we started seeing tons of bubbles! As we got closer, we saw that the source was a fun toy shop. They had music going, so Walter had to stop and bust out some moves. We were there for a long time, just watching him dance and play in the bubbles. I lied. This might have actually been his favorite part.
Candy store on the pier! I wish I was the candy baron...
There were some beautiful stained glass windows in the Catholic cathedral we visited. I really wish our churches had stained glass. I think it's so relaxing to look at.
I'm so annoyed with myself for not taking better notes on our adventures. I can't quite remember which church or museum was which, so they're a little muddled. I'm pretty sure this was a catholic church we visited that had a cool dog park across the street.
We'd visit a church and a museum every day.
Because it would be exploitative and disrespectful, one thing I didn't take any pictures of was the massive amounts of homelessness we saw. I mean massive. It's a weird experience to see homes that are in the millions, fancy cars on every street, and homeless people in doorways. The economic disparity was startling and very upsetting for me. The city was also very dirty.
Once again, Levi has shown me that he's one of the most Christ-like people I know. While I was trying to not make eye contact (out of shame? guilt? Fear? I can't really say), Levi would go right up to strangers and start a conversation.
As we walked out of the Asian art museum, we noticed some sort of rally going on across the street. All of the students and adults were wondering and discussing what it might be about. Rather than guess with us, Levi walked up the the nearest homeless man (with Walter in-tow) and started asking him about it. I held off for a minute, but decided to walk over an join them. The man saw my tummy and exclaimed how exciting it was that I was having a baby!
As we were walking away, my pamphlet from the museum blew out of my hands. I made a sound of sadness, because I hate littering. As it blew into the road the homeless man immediately jumped up and ran out in front of traffic to get it for me. "No! No! Don't get hurt! It's just garbage!" He turned around and said, "Are you sure? It's better than you running after it and getting hurt." I had to hold back tears as he came back and I thanked him for running after a pregnant lady's garbage.
Whether it was chatting with homeless people, or going up the the angsty teenager on the bus and asking about his longboard, or walking up to the band at the church to talk about music, Levi kept reminding me (though he'd never express it this way) that there is a piece of God in everybody, and we should spend more time noticing that rather than what's "wrong" with them. The world isn't something to live in constant fear about, it's something to experience and grow from. That's a lesson I'm really trying to learn right now. Levi's such a Johnson--the world is all good in their eyes! No fear!
We walked a ton! About 9+ miles a day. And that's with lots of public transportation. Buses, trolleys, trains. As long as Levi would push the stroller, it wasn't too bad for me. I'd have lots of contractions and my feet hurt, but I was fine. People are kind, by the way. I'd get on a packed bus and immediately 3 different people would stand up for me. Having a place to sit and hold Walter during the jerky movements of a bus was something I really appreciated.
At the second museum we went to, Levi rented a wheelchair and pushed me around. Haha, it was pretty great.


We saw the "painted ladies" where Full House was filmed.
My parents got lots of Walter time! Seriously though. How am I surrounded by all these kind, zen-type people? When I'm anxious--which being in a city I don't know at all with a toddler and a body that can't get away fast should the need arise will do that to me--I am not very nice. It's something I'm really trying to work on. But Levi, my mom, my dad, and Maggie were all so nice and patient with me!
Sunday was my favorite day! We went to Glide Memorial church for their morning service. Glide is a Methodist church located in one of the sketchiest parts of town. They cater to the lost. It was one of the most spiritual experiences I've had, to date, in a religious ceremony. It was amazing.
This is a picture of Levi, Mr. Friendly, going up and talking to the band. I think Levi would like being in a church where he could play drums. I know I'd love it! The band and choir were one of the best parts! The music they played would hit you right in the heart.
Then we went to a park and ate lunch. This was the only time on the trip that I let Walter take his shoes off out of the hotel. Walter and I are constantly barefooted at home, so he was excited to get to play without shoes on.
Here he is flirting with all the teenage girls. Sheesh, he was such a hit with the ladies. Since he was the only kid on the trip, everyone just loved him. There was one girl in particular that Walter took a liking to. Maddie. He loved her! Mostly because she'd tickle and play with him. There were also two adult girls, Jane and Sarah (their dad is the art history teacher). By the end of the trip, Walter loved them, too.
Then we went to a Russian Orthodox church and got to see some of their Easter celebration.
The differences between Glide and the Russian church were many! Like a ton! It was cool to see them both on the same day. But even though they were so very different, you could feel the love that the congregations had for "their people" and God. It made me grateful for my own ward family.
Here we are at another museum. I can't remember which one...but it was my favorite, haha.
A lot of us wanted to go see the beach. Hello? We're in California! It'd be a shame not to.
It was about 40 minutes to get there, but the beach was definitely my favorite part! I'm not a city girl. I love space. The beach was a great recharge for me. Walter wasn't there for more than 5 minutes before he was stripped down to his underwear. The water was freezing cold! But Walter didn't care, he played in it for probably an hour! Even though he was shivering, it still took some bribes to get him out and dressed.
Sitting his wet, cold bum into the sand

On Monday we went to a Reformed Jewish synagogue. This was one of the most educational parts of the whole trip. We got set up with one of their teachers and she was amazing! I learned a ton about all the different types of Judaism that I had never known before. I leaned over to Levi during one part and said, "So...I want to be her." She was smart, confident, kind. And Judaism is cool a religion! There is so much history and beauty in their beliefs that we had the privileged to learn about. Oh! And she showed us a real Torah! A handwritten, super special, way expensive, if-this-is-dropped-we-have-to-fast-for-40-days Torah! Such a privilege.
We went to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner one night. Yum, now I'm thinking about crab...
Every night, we'd go back to our hotel rooms and be passed out by 9! Unless there was an electronic to play on, of course...
On Tuesday, we stopped at the Golden Gate Bridge on our way to the Muir Woods.
So cold!
Muir woods was another great recharging place for me. So beautiful.
His stroller wasn't going to work on most of our hike, so Walter had to walk. He made it about half a mile and started complaining. So...Levi carried him almost the entire time.
Eating yummy fish tacos. After lunch the lady sitting at the table next to us stopped me and said how impressed she was with my "well behaved young boy." It seriously made my day!
The last thing we did was visit Alcatraz. Another somber experience. Even if they are criminals, it's horrifying the way some people have been and are treated.We listened to a really good recorded tour that took us around the island.
It was cool to see nature reclaiming the island.
It was interesting to learn that there was a whole community that lived on this island! Almost all the officers moved their families into apartments on Alcatraz and the kids grew up, went to school, went to church, like it was just a regular little town!
On the trolley like Daniel Tiger!

On the way back to the hotel to get our stuff and head to the airport, We stopped and got Walter some delicious cotton candy.
We were on the plane for only a little bit when Walter fell fast asleep. That trip made him tired!
This trip was such a good experience! Not sure if I can do it again with a toddler, but I'm glad we did it. My parents were so kind and generous with us. Even if they get me on edge, I'm so grateful for trips, because I love bonding and creating memories with people that I love. I'm so glad we went and can't wait for our next big adventure!







































































Way fun! What a fun adventure. I LOVE Muir Woods...it was fun to see your photos of it...so gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteI tried to comment like 3 times and it was being crazy. It looks like you had lots of fun!
ReplyDelete