Thursday, July 31, 2014

Cherry Hill and "Maleficent"

Last year, one of our favorite things was going to Cherry Hill, so this year we made sure to get a pass of our own. We had it paid off after the first week. We've loved going almost every week with cousins, family, and even just the two of us. It's been really good bonding time.

One thing I love about having a pass is that we can go up for 2 hours and I don't feel like we're wasting any money. If we only did day passes, I'd want to stay all day to get my money's worth. I think that if you go someplace often enough, a pass is the way to go! I've contemplated getting a Lagoon one for next summer. I guess we'll see...

Near the end of last year, Walter's favorite ride was the "Dragon Slide." So this year it was one of the first things we did. Totally freaked him out. He wouldn't go near it again. 

Fast forward a couple weeks...I was in need of a "date night" and since Levi wasn't available, I took Walter. We went to see "Maleficent" the new Angelina Jolie film in the theater. I had him watch the trailers several times and kept asking, "Is this scary or cool?" and he'd keep answering, "Cool!" It's also by Disney, so I figured it's probably a kids' film. We walk into the theater and there isn't one. single. kid. All adults and teenagers...I walk to the back with my two-year-old  and try to understand if I should be feeling any sort of shame. 

A middle-aged couple in front and to the side of us kept looking back and giving me glares anytime Walter made even an inkling of a peep. And the movie hadn't even started yet! I had had a hard day and all I wanted was a night out on the town with my two year old at an apparently adult movie. Why couldn't they keep their glares to themselves? And this isn't Broadway! You didn't just pay $80 for your tickets. This is a Disney Film. 

Oh well. The movie started and Walter was in a trance! He loved it and so did I! In fact, he did better in "Maleficent" than he did in "How to Train Your Dragon 2." Maleficent was an amazing character. We fell in love. And it was totally appropriate for children! Lots of great things to talk about and nothing too scary. I could go on and on about how much we loved that movie...

A couple days later we head to Cherry Hill. I say, "Walter, let's do the Dragon Slide. Let's be brave like Maleficent."  I don't know if "brave" is necessarily the right adjective for Maleficent, but it worked. And also that Carter was going. 

We sat on the slide and I could feel how tense he was. "Let's be Maleficent, Walter." And we pushed off.

He started to calm down and even let a couple of "Woo hoo's" out. Then out of no where he started screaming, "I'M MALEFICENT! I'M MALEFICENT!" We got to the bottom and he looked at me, "More again! More, again!"

Since then, "Dragon Slide" has been his favorite! He can hardly stand being in "Pirates' Cove" for more than 10 minutes, but he could do "Dragon Slide" all day long. And every single time we go down together, he reminds himself of how brave he is by screaming, "I'M MALEFICENT!"

I love his face in this one.






 He has to wear this diaper cover so he doesn't poop in the pool. It's HUGE. I could wear it.
 My best friend cousin, Jessica and her baby, Brigham. I hate it when family lives far away.



My brave boy.






2 comments:

  1. I loved going to Cherry Hill with you that day. It was so much fun! Walter is so brave lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha this is hilarious! He is so cute, Allison. :)

    ReplyDelete