I've been working on this post for a while, trying to find a way to say what I wanted to say without offending anyone. And honestly, trying to even figure out HOW I felt about what I wanted to say. And then I read up on Chick-fil-a.
Honestly? My heart broke. I'm all for Chick-fil-a feeling and supporting what they believe. In fact, I respect it. But that still didn't stop my heart from hurting. I tried for so long not to have an opinion on this subject, because I just didn't want one. I didn't want to feel like I was pulling my heart in two separate directions. But the more I've read and heard about LGBT marriage, the more I've started to realize how I really feel about it.
Do I believe in marriage between a man and a woman to be sacred? Yes. Do I love and respect my religion? Yes. Do I believe in a loving Heavenly Father and Mother? Most definitely. Do I believe that these loving Heavenly parents would want their children's agency to choose whom they love taken away? Not at all.
For me, this issue isn't Democrat vs Republican. For me, this issue is about love. What happened to us that made us turn our backs on our fellow brothers and sisters? My ancestors were persecuted for their beliefs, driven out of their homes, and exiled by a nation they loved. How can I let myself do that same thing to others?
I don't think that marriage between LGBT would ruin the family. To me, I believe it would just make more families! And isn't that what this life is about? Family? By wanting to get married, gays aren't taking away the rights of others, they're just trying to gain some of their own!
I remember that I had a teacher my sophomore year whom I loved! After he left the education system for other dreams, we found out he was gay. One of my highly naive friends made the comment, "Oh my gosh! I can't believe he was left alone with boy students!" I remember getting a really sick feeling in my stomach realizing that my friend (and many others in this country) felt that way about gays. "He's not a pedophile, just because he's gay, you know..." was my response. She instantly felt ashamed that she had even thought that.
Another stereotype for you: After high school I found out one of my friends was a lesbian. Other friends would say to me, "I don't want to be left alone with her. What if she likes me?" My response? "Don't flatter yourself. I highly doubt you're her type." Just because someone's attracted to your gender, doesn't mean they're attracted to you.
We need to open our minds and accept people! I'm not angry at my naive peers, I'm sad for them. They are missing out on the opportunity to get to know amazing people, and learn what it means to love all of God's children.
The emotion I associate the strongest with my Heavenly parents is love. Absolute, unconditional, completely accepting love. And I want to be just like them.
I don't know what it feels like to be a homosexual, but I do know what it feels like to be scared, and judged, and in want of love and acceptance. And I am going to do everything I can to show that love and acceptance to others.
I want us to open our doors and hearts to the misunderstanding bigots, the angry hypocrites, the scared and confused parents, the gay and lesbian brothers and sisters. I want us to all try and find a way to make this world better and more loving. I truly believe that only through love and work can this world be made better. There should be so much love that there isn't any room for hatred and judgement.
That's my wish: Love.
Good Question: "What happened to us that made us turn our backs on our fellow brothers and sisters?"
ReplyDeleteAllison, you write the best blog posts. I don't know that I could write like this on my blog.. Way to go.
I'm picturing you listening to the Beatles: All You Need Is Love song while you wrote this.
So.. you wanna go to Chick-fil-a for lunch?
That's awesome and I totally agree with you!
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is "thank you!' Thank you for writing this post and for being so open. I also agree that it's ALL about love. I have no right to judge anyone for what they do and I have no right to deny anyone the opportunities I have. I wish the whole world could read your post. :)
ReplyDeleteBLOGOSPHERE!
ReplyDeleteLove everyone no matter what. Good theme.
"Do I believe that these loving Heavenly parents would want their children's agency to choose whom they love taken away? Not at all."
I'd like add that, in my opinion, defining marriage between a man and a woman wouldn't take away a homosexual couples agency or their ability to love each other. I know and know of lots of homosexual couples who happily live together despite current laws.
I can see that defining marriage between a man and a woman could make certain societal functions more cumbersome and costly for homosexual couples. (like filing taxes without being able to claim a partner as a dependent) But I think those silly subsidies should be removed for traditionally married people anyway.
It's a joke when people in the church treat our homosexual brothers and sisters like they have the plague. Love everyone.
Too much text! Wanted to voice my opinion, but not offend, which meant too much text. Sorry, and War Eagle!
Allison, I totally agree with you. I think all we need to worry about is having open, loving hearts.
ReplyDeleteDitto , you take the love inside with you.
ReplyDeleteSpot on Allison! I feel the exact same way as you but haven't been able to put my feelings into works. Thanks for helping me out! Love your blog!! You are fantastic.
ReplyDeleteAli I think this is wonderful. I hope I wasn't one of the stupid high schoolers you were talking about here....I probably was. :) I've been trying to think of a way to say this very thing myself. I'm just grateful you figured it out for me. Very beautiful dear. love you.
ReplyDelete