Sunday, February 10, 2013

Reupholstered Rocking Chair

For months, I have been looking for a chair to reupholster. I had read tons about it on pinterest (I used this blog as my guide) and I wanted to try it so badly! But after doing the math I realized that buying a chair from DI (which is highly overpriced) and the cost of fabric...I might as well buy a new chair. So I was disheartened, until...I realized I had had a chair to reupholster the whole time!

In the summer before I had Walter, my mom had bought me a glider at a yard sale for about $20. I had never liked the fabric on it, but didn't do anything about it. 

So I went to Joann's (with coupon in hand) and got a few yards of fabric. The whole thing (if I had been the one to buy the chair) cost me about $40! Still cheaper than buying a broken-used chair from DI.

My machine did a great job, but it isn't made for heavy duty jobs like this one (or maybe it's me...), so the chair isn't perfect, but I absolutely love it!

Francis helping me cut out the fabric.
Mmm, milk stains...

I used all the velcro and zippers from the original fabric so that I wouldn't have to get new stuff.

Before...

 AFTER! 
(The foot stool was my first piece, so it didn't fit perfectly. I'll be re-doing it soon)

 Walter approved.
Since I could only work on it when Walter was asleep, it took me a couple of weeks, but I'm so happy with it! Now I need to make a pillow for it and maybe even paint the chair...hmmm we'll see!

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! How did you get the creases back in it once you put the fabric on? Does that make sense? haha It seriously looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHh! Nice work Allison! Look at you go!

    ReplyDelete